Thursday 8 October 2015

September Wrap Up!

Hey guys!

So, after a really successful reading month in August, September was pretty bad. But I mean, I told you it was going to happen (also October is looking like it will be pretty much the same). So, I read 3 books. Wow. So impressive, Jess. Haha. University is a lot of fun, kids. Especially when I'm taking an extra class. Anyway, I still read stuff so let's get to the wrap up!

#1: A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis [Goodreads Link]
Speaking of uni, that's what I read this one for. I think I mentioned in my last wrap up that class I'm taking on cultures of death and grief but yeah, it's a really interesting class! And we get to read some really great stuff and this was 100% one of them. It's kind of a memoir from C.S. Lewis (yeah, that guy who wrote Narnia!) in regards to how he deals with and mourns the death of his wife and there's quite a beauty in his tragedy. He just writes with really lovely prose. I was also shocked by how self-reflective he could be in his grief. It feels odd to rate a book like this but I did end up giving it a 4/5 stars.

2: Princess in Waiting by Meg Cabot [Goodreads Link]
Continuing my journey trying to read the Princess Diaries series, I picked up this instalment and I have to say that it lacked a lot of the charm that the previous books possessed. I've said many times that I don't particularly love this series but the books are easy and accessible reads and they have a nice humour to them but this book felt really flat. It's basically Mia whining for the whole thing and I ended up putting the audiobook on 2x speed just to get through it quicker. I ended up giving it 2/5 stars, mostly because the last scene was pretty adorable.

#3: The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas [Goodreads Link]
I have said many times how much I love this series and in the lead up to the release of the fourth instalment, I felt like it was time to pick up this collection of prequel novellas. Of course, not all the stories were as interesting but as a whole, the book was really enjoyable. I possbly would have enjoyed it more had I not been trying to rush through it to get to Queen of Shadows but oh well. I love Celaena so much as a character and it was really interesting to see snippets of her life before the main story of the series. I also kind of regret reading it because how the last story concludes just tore my heart out (even though I obviously knew it was coming). I gave it 4/5 stars.

Well, there we go! I only narrowly missed adding Queen of Shadows to this wrap up but you can all look forward to a full discussion coming your way ASAP. I have A LOT of things to talk about.

So, how did you all go in the month of September? Did you have an awesome reading month or did you have a bit of a lull like I did? Let me know in the comments!

Until next time!
- Jess, xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment