Friday 27 May 2016

BOOK REVIEW: Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff (No Spoilers!)

Title: Illuminae

Authors: Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

Rating: 4/5 stars

Goodreads Summary:  This morning, Kady thought breaking up with Ezra was the hardest thing she’d have to do. 

This afternoon, her planet was invaded.

The year is 2575, and two rival megacorporations are at war over a planet that’s little more than an ice-covered speck at the edge of the universe. Too bad nobody thought to warn the people living on it. With enemy fire raining down on them, Kady and Ezra—who are barely even talking to each other—are forced to fight their way onto an evacuating fleet, with an enemy warship in hot pursuit.

But their problems are just getting started. A deadly plague has broken out and is mutating, with terrifying results; the fleet's AI, which should be protecting them, may actually be their enemy; and nobody in charge will say what’s really going on. As Kady hacks into a tangled web of data to find the truth, it's clear only one person can help her bring it all to light: the ex-boyfriend she swore she'd never speak to again.

Review:

If you've seen reviews of this before, basically everyone mentions how unique the reading experience for this book is and I really think it was a great part of it. I've read things told entirely in correspondence before but this goes beyond that, telling the story in bits and pieces of different things. It's also laid really interestingly, with the text sometimes going all over the place. While this made things really cool (and also made reading it quick), the fault that I feel always arises with this technique is that it takes a bit longer for the reader to get into the story. It's  harder to work out all the characters and create a bigger picture when you're only shown little glimpses of everthing. Having said that, though, I think Illuminae only struggles with this the first 100-200 pages and after that it is a complete non-issue.

The story itself is pretty unique and took turns I really wasn't expecting. It was definitely darker than I had thought it to be. I was amazed at how tense everything gets as the story progress. The pages were just flying by. I was also surprised to find out that this book was a part of a series (I don't know why, but I thought it was a stand-alone) but the more I think about it, the more excited I am for it. This first book has left quite a few threads hanging and I also just want to know more about this world. So far it's been almost entirely in space so there's a plethora of possibilities. 

Overall, this book was really, really fantastic! My only issues have to do with the beginning but the rest of it is honestly just great. Highly, highly recommend and can't wait to see where this story goes! Let me know down in the comments your thoughts on Illuminae :)

Until next time!
- Jess, xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment