Saturday 25 March 2017

Movie Review - Kong: Skull Island

Okay, so I know this is established as a book blog, but another great love of mine is movies. I want a tonne of them so I've decided I'm going to try and post some reviews of the ones I'm seeing. March is a madhouse for movies so it's seems like a good time to start!

So, Kong: Skull Island. Let me start by saying that I think most people will really like this film, and that there's something for everyone to at least enjoy. Personally, I went into it hoping to love it, but was ultimately disappointed. Did I think it was completely awful? No, definitely not, but I do think it could've been a lot better.

My biggest gripe with this film is the characters. Firstly, there's far too many and it's hard to keep track. Also the movie starts with so many (particularly soldiers), it's difficult to tell which ones we're supposed to get attached to and honestly I didn't feel attached to any. Not much substance is given to these characters bar basic archetypes. The exception is Samuel L. Jackson and John C. Reilly but I do think that's down to the actors' presence rather than the actual script. Overall, I didn't care for these characters and when felt little when they were slowly picked off. What a waste of such a good cast.

My second biggest criticism is to do with the editing and tonal issues. The editing is honestly all over the place with Kong. It felt like they were trying to make some bolder choices with it but it just ended up making some shots jarring and confusing.On top of this, it doesn't feel like the movie knows what tone is what trying to achieve. Is it a war film? Is it a monster film? Is it maybe even a comedy? Possibly it could've nicely blended these but it mostly just left me scratching my head at what I was watching. 

Of course, it's not all bad things. I think, visually, this movie was pretty great. The night scenes were definitely their weakness, but otherwise, it felt very picturesque. And Kong himself looks phenomenal. I doubt anyone could deny that he looks great. It's awesome to see him just so BIG and see fight scenes with a beast that large. Also, those scenes where Samuel L. Jackson's character is facing down Kong are pretty neat. 

Overall, I'm going to give this film a C+ rating. As much as I feel let down by this film, I am still excited to see how this monster universe is going to shape out. Especially I'm keen to see how this Godzilla vs. Kong showdown is gonna go down! Let me know down below in the comments what your thoughts on Kong: Skull are. Completely disagree or feel the same way? I'm open to discussion.

Until next time!
- J, xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment