Wednesday 15 March 2017

T5W: Books I Felt Betrayed By

Hi guys! Back again with another Top 5 Wednesday! If you don't know what Top 5 Wednesday is, here's a handy dandy link that gives you all the the info :) This week's topic was book's you felt betrayed. I originally didn't think I'd want to do this topic, but as I thought about it, I realised I had quite a few gripes I could get out there. Not all of these books are one I didn't enjoy, some just have things that I felt wronged by even if I enjoyed the rest. But let's get to business:


#5: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

This definitely falls into the category of books I didn't like. I felt betrayed by this book because there was just SO much hype about it. When I first kind of got introduced to the online book community, this book was basically at it's peak for hype, so I figured it was a must-read. I was so let down by this book. It was predictable and nothing about it made feel 'wow'ed.

#4: Shatter Me by Taherah Mafi

Oh, boy. When I read this book, I was convinced I was going to LOVE it. There was a decent amount of love out there for it, especially with certain people who's opinions seemed to align with mine. Also, the covers are beautiful! I was so convinced that I went and got the whole series from the library (thankfully didn't buy), intending to go for a binge. Only to read the first and feel so betrayed and underwhelmed that I never even gave the second a shot. Oops.

#3: Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead

Now, this is a book that I actually love. It's my favourite from the series, and  just a favourite, in general. But if you've read it, you know that there is a Big Thing that happens and the end of this book and it broke teenage me. I mean, it still breaks adult me, haha. I remember reading this book way back in 2008/2009, when I didn't have the next book for answers, and I just felt so betrayed. Ahhhh!

#2: Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas

Honestly, I could probably add every SJM book released post-Assassin's Blade to this list and it would be accurate. I don't know what happened but from then onwards I have felt so underwhelmed by her books. But this one, in particular, was a true betrayal. I adored Heir of Fire and saw so much potential for the rest of the series but then I was given this book and everything was wrong. The characters weren't the characters I loved. The pacing was all over the place. I'd been left disappointed by ACOTAR not long before this but I could just write it off because it was a separate series, but I was so invested in this. QoS onwards just really hasn't felt the same and it hurts me.

#1: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

Don't worry, I'm going to keep this spoiler-free, if you are one of those few that haven't read the series. But first off, I did love this book, as well. It's a really good finale to the series (with exception to the epilogue and a few other things), and it hurt in a lot of ways. But something always hurts so much more than the rest. A lot of characters die in the final battle but there is one death that always gets me and I still feel so betrayed by from Rowling because it felt like it was a step too far. I feel like most people feel the same way about this death, so you might be able to guess it.

So, there's that. Without going into spoilers, what are some books you've felt betrayed by? Let me know down in the comments and we can see if we might have similar opinions!

Until next time!
J, xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment