Tuesday 31 March 2015

March Wrap-Up!

Hey guys! Today I'm here with my first wrap up of the year (oops). My reading was pretty bad in Jan-Feb and I was also really busy so I just decided not to do any. But March was a bit better. Even though half of the books I read were either short stories or graphic novels, it's way better than the first two months of the year. I'm still trying to pick up the pace though because I'm currently 6 books behind on my Goodreads schedule :\ 

Anyway, let's get to the books I read this month!


#1: Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead
This one was a re-read. I got the urge in February to re-read the entire Vampire Academy series (it's one of my absolute favourites) and I actually managed to complete it. I've re-read the books heaps of times but I usually only get about halfway through the series before I give up on the re-read so I'm glad I made it to the end this time. It's been awhile since I read this last book and I'd forgotten how good it was. I gave it a 4 out of 5 stars.

#2: The Ruby Circle by Richelle Mead
Following my re-read of Vampire Academy, I was tempted to re-read the Bloodlines series before picking up this book, seeing as it's the last in the series. But alas, I don't have that much time on my hands to do so, so I just jumped straight to it. I have a full review of this book up here, but in short I was pretty disappointed with this novel. I think the series went kind of downhill at book 4 and this last one fell flat for a lot of reasons. I gave it a 2.5 out of 5 stars.

#3-5: Saga Vol. 1-3 by Brian K. Vaugn and Fiona Staples
There is a lot of hype surrounding this graphic novel series so I was definitey hesitant to pick it up. Not that I thought it was going to be bad (I've had people who like all different things rec this to me!), but I didn't want to go in with too high expectation and have more room for disappointment. And let me say, I had nothing to worry about this. These graphic novels are really, really good. The stories and characters are really rich and it's a lot of fun to read. I will say that there's a lot of graphic content (gore and sex and similar stuff) so if you find any of that uncomfortable or triggering than you should probably not give this a shot. But if not, I would definitely recommend it! I gave them all 4 out of 5 stars.

#6: I'm Not Racist, But... by Anita Heiss
I discovered Heiss not too long ago and have been wanting to give her books a shot since then because her work sounds really interesting. She's a non-fiction writer and this book, in particular, is a collection of poems which explore white privilege in contemporary Australia from the perspective of an Aboriginal woman. In short, it was fantastic. I found the poems easy to take on but also nicely thought provoking. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.

#7: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
This is another one I have a full review for here, but in short, I enjoyed this more than the first in the series. I didn't like some parts of the story (mainly the romance) but the story just keeps getting better and the character development was really good in this book. I gave it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

#8: Cress by Marissa Meyer
I just put up my full review for this yesterday so check that out here. I thought this was the strongest book in the series so far. The character development wasn't up to the same level as the first two but it definitely makes up for the in the plot and world building. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. I also need Winter yesterday.

#9: Ms. Marvel Vol. 1: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson and Adrian Alphona
So I picked up this comic because of two things: 1) the hype and 2) the Muslim Pakistani protagonist. Let me say first that I thought that this was a fun superhero comic and definitely enjoyable to read. The plot left a bit to be desired but I think the cast of characters made up for it. My biggest issue about this series is how Kamala's relgion and culture were represented. It often felt like her religion was hindering her ability to be a superhero and that didn't sit right with me. I hoped for a character that was comfortable being Muslim and still being a superhero. I didn't like that it came of that her faith was a bad thing. And I also felt like her Muslim family and friends seemed to be based on a lot of stereotypes. Nevertheless, I gave it a tentative 3.5 out of 5 stars.

#10: The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
This was short story I had downloaded onto my Kindle app that I stumbled upon the other day (I have tonnes of public domain books on there that I got free from Amazon so I usually don't know half of what I've got). I'd heard a few things about it so I thought I'd read it quickly before bed one night. I was definitely ore impressed by it than I thought I would be, and the story was more haunting than I had assumed. I also appreciated the feminist undercurrents of it. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.

So there you have it! 10 books this month and a lot of them I enjoyed. I'm hoping for close to double that amount next month though to try and get on top of my Goodreads challenge. How did you guys go this month? Any favourites? Let me know in the comments below!

Until next time!
J,xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment