Saturday 21 November 2015

BOOK REVIEW: Fairest by Marissa Meyer

Title: Fairest

Author: Marissa Meyer

Rating: 3/5 stars

Goodreads Synopsis:


Mirror, mirror on the wall,
Who is the fairest of them all?


Fans of the Lunar Chronicles know Queen Levana as a ruler who uses her “glamour” to gain power. But long before she crossed paths with Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress, Levana lived a very different story – a story that has never been told . . . until now. 

Review: 

I liked this book more than I thought I would. In saying that, I didn't think I'd like it at all. I originally didn't want to read it (I only did so on a whim in anticipation for Winter) because I thought Levana was a good antagonist figure by being just a really bad person and I was convinced that this novel would be something that would try to persuade me that she was actually just "misunderstood". Don't get me wrong, those types of villians are interesting as well but I also think in some cases - such as Levana's - it isn't necessary and doesn't add to the story to make her like that. Thankfully, I was really wrong in my presumptions.

The book was more an exploration of Levana's character rather than a justification. Sure enough, there are points that we get to see events in her life that possibly explain why she is the way she is, but in the end, it boils down to her own decisions than anything else that have made her so cold-hearted. You do sympathise with here in certain scenes but the book doesn't shy away from showing how messed up she is as well. In short, you're always aware that she's still a bad person but there are moments when you can at least pity her.

My main issue with Fairest is that it felt both too long and too short at the same time. It is quite long for a novella but it's too short to be its own standalone novel. At some points, the story felt like it was being dragged along and at others, I just wanted it to be stretched out a bit more and given some more depth. 

But overall, I think this book was good. I would still rank my least favourite within the entirety of the Lunar Chronicles but if you're a fan, you should definitely check it out. If you're worried - like I was - that it's going to try and make the villian a good character, don't worry, it doesn't. It's worth the read either way!

Let me know down below what you thought of this book! Also, hopefully I should have a review up for Winter soon!

Until next time!
- Jess, xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment