Wednesday 12 August 2015

Top 5 Wednesday: Favourite Required Reading

Hey guys! It's been awhile since I've done one of these, oops. But this week, we're discussing our top 5 books we've been required to read. While I've had to read a lot of things I've hated because of this, I've also had the pleasure to read a lot of really interesting stuff for school. And ironically, even though I'm a literature studies major at university, none of the things I've read there made it onto this list. But before I get to it, if you don't know what Top 5 Wednesdays are, it was created by gingerreadslainey and for more information, click here :)

#5: Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck [Goodreads Link]

While this isn't one of my favourite novels of all time, I did like it. I first read it when I was in my last year of high school (or second last, I can't really remember because I had the same teacher for both years) and, while I'd seen the movie before (not realising it was a book), it was still just as heartbreaking. The story revolves around the idea of the American dream and crafts a tale of an incredible friendship. It really is a beautiful novel if you give it the time and I'm really glad I got to read it through school.

#4: 
Holes by Louis Sachar [Goodreads Link]
Now, this is going way back. I read this when I was in primary school when I was about...8? 9? I can't exactly which year but I remember loving it. I think we actually read it more than once so that might be why there's the age confusion. But this is such a good children's novel! It's fun and effortlessly weaves a surprisingly complex story into really simple prose that makes it easy for young readers to comprehend. I couldn't recommend this enough for younger readers!


#3: Macbeth by William Shakespeare [Goodreads Link]

This is another one I read in my last year of high school (English that year was AWESOME) and it remains to be my favourite Shakespeare play I've read (note: I've only read 3 but still). If you want to check out Shakespeare, I would highly recommend you try this first!



#2: The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien 

So, this goes back to when I was 13 and in my first year of high school and boy, oh boy, was I excited to be reading Tolkien in school! I had already read the Lord of the Rings but I still had yet to check out the Hobbit so it helped that it became school work. While I enjoyed LOTR far more than the Hobbit, I just love all the stories of Middle Earth so much that I can't help but love this one too.



#1: 1984 by George Orwell
 [Goodreads Link]
I think this is a pretty common high school read for a lot of people and, once again, it's one that I read in my final year. Never has a book made me question the world as much as this one has. Contrary to popular opinion, I actually enjoy this one more than Animal Farm but both are just so good. I'm really grateful to my year 12 English teacher for introducing me to George Orwell and making me forever paranoid (but in a good way?).





So, there we have it! That last year of high school showed me some pretty great books ;) Let me know in the comments some of your favourite books you've been required to read!


Until next time!

- Jess, xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment