Friday 3 July 2015

June Wrap-Up

What is this? A wrap up? Is this real life? Yep, you're not going crazy! I am actually doing a wrap-up! I was really good at doing these on my previous account but I've gotten super slack with them this year. But no more! I think it also has something to do with the fact I haven't been reading as much and haven't felt like doing a wrap-up because of that.

But enough rambling. Let's get to the books!


#1: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas [Goodreads Link]
This was one of my top most anticipated reads of this year and I wish I could say I liked it more than I did. For anyone who knows me, you know that I am a big fan of SJM and she quickly became and auto-buy author for me after reading her Throne of Glass series. Despite that, I felt a bit less than impressed by ACOTAR. I did still enjoy it but I just don't think it was amazing. I did do a full review of it here if you want to know more :) I gave it 3/5 stars.

#2: The Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman and Chris Riddell [Goodreads Link]
This was a lovely little book. If you don't know what it's about, it's basically a retelling of Sleepy Beauty intertwined with Snow White and presented as a illustrated short novel. The combination of Neil Gaiman's gorgeous prose with Chris Riddell beautiful art was just so, so wonderful. It took a path I wasn't expected and I really loved it. I would definitely recommend it! I gave it 4/5 stars.

#3: These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner [Goodreads Link]
I have been wanting to get my hands of this book for so long. Like, SO LONG. It's gotten little bits of hype and I can't go past a cover as gorgeous as that. And then I heard it was a sci-fi so it seemed that it could do no wrong. It ended being quite far from what I expected. It was surprisingly unique and had a really interesting story but not everything clicked just right with me. I felt like the romance was a bit too "insta-love" for my tastes and the pacing could've used some work in the first half. I think I may do a full review of it but overall, I did enjoy it and will most likely give the second book a go. I gave it 3.5/5 stars.

#4: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen [Goodreads Link]
Nothing says classic romance like Pride and Prejudice. It's a tale that's been loved for hundreds of years and I do think its deserving of that place. I've always been a big fan of the adaptations of this novel (the 2005 movie is my fav, sorry not sorry) but I've never finished the book. I have tried a few times but for one reason or another, I've just never gotten through it fully. Getting a hold of the audiobook was a blessing. I think if you can push past the parts that are a bit more dull or tedious, it's easy to see why this book became a classic. Austen's prose is really lovely and the story just has so much heart and humour in it that once you give it a proper chance, it can really capture you. I gave it 4/5 stars.

#5: Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin [Goodreads Link]
After Pride and Prejudice and discovering the handiness of audiobooks. I needed one for a flight so I got the audiobook for this on a whim after hearing great reviews of it hear and there. Unfortunately, I have to disagree with most of them. I really wanted to like this novel, but the story just fell flat for me. The concept was interesting but I felt no connection to the main character or emotional pull from the story. I ended up giving it 2/5 stars.






So, 5 books in June. It's not bad but it's not great either. I'm aiming for at least double that amount in July. AT LEAST. How did your month of reading go? Are you, unlike me, keeping to your Goodreads reading goal? Let me know in the comments below!

Until next time!
Jess, xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment